Have pain on shoulder. Can it cause any strain on nervous system?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Good morning.
I have pain on my left shoulder/neck intermittently severe in nature, I have been advised to take Razo/Signo flam tablets for 3 days, pls adv this will cure the pain.
I am having this pain for that past 15 days.
I did not have any fall. I was asked to take an exray of the neck and shoulder and the Doctor checked the same and found everything is normal and I have been given above tablets. But I still find the pain has not subsidised as expected.

Pls adv what could be the reason and any other medication is required.

I have been doing weight lifting regularly along with cardio exercises.
Pls adv if this could have caused any strain on my nervous system or ligaments
during one of my workouts using heavy weights.
.I have stopped visiting gym for the past one week.
I am employed and use laptop during the most part of the day, for checking / replying emails
and preparing worksheets etc. Pls adv if this is one of the causes and if so, what is to be done.

Thanks very much in advance.

Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. We like to call it industrial neck pain, since its prediliction towards people working in computer related industry.

It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history.

If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan.

Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician has prescribed) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).
In case the pain is not adequately relieved with the present treatment then you may need oral muscle relaxants and methylcobalamnin supplements for proper relief.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Follow-up: Have pain on shoulder. Can it cause any strain on nervous system? 11 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Many thanks for your mail. It is really helpful and informative as I could now understand the root cause of the problem.

As advised by you I shall continue to take the tablets prescribed by my Doctor as prescribed. In case the pain is still there even after a couple of days, could you please advise whether any other tablets could be taken or straight away I have to visit my doctor for further treatment as suggested by you with the help of MRI/ cervical traction /physio therapy etc.

Best regards XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Have pain on shoulder. Can it cause any strain on nervous system? 1 minute later
I am also riding a two wheeler, Hero Honda bicycle.
Just fyi please.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
In case the pain persists, it is best to consult an orthopedician for stronger pain killers and muscle relaxants after proper investigations.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Have pain on shoulder. Can it cause any strain on nervous system? 14 minutes later
Many thanks again Doctor.

I shall do as advised by you.

Pls advise this is only a temporary illness and could be cured by the treatment plan as suggested by you and absolutely it is not a serious issue and I need not be afraid that it is something major.

Best regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Please do not worry. This is a minor problem and can be treated with medicines and regular physiotherapy.
This is a short term problem and you will feel better with proper treatment.
Best wishes.