Have pain in shoulder and sore lump on collar bone. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Dr.Grief. I have pain in my right shoulder and a lump on my collar bone which is sore.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed examination & investigations are needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Before I answer your query, a little more information is needed about your ailments-

Regarding your shoulder pain
* duration of pain (days, months or years)
* whether pain is continuous or only related to movements
* Do you have pain even at rest
* Any history of previous injury to the shoulder
* Do you have pain in the neck also
* Is the pain in the shoulder localised to one spot or is present over the entire shoulder
* Nature of pain - sharp, shooting, stabbing, burning etc
* Is the pain associated with fever
* any swelling over the shoulder apart from pain

Regarding your lump on collar bone
* duration of lump -days, weeks, months,years etc
* is it painful to touch or pressure
* is it movable or is fixed to the underlying bone
* what is the consistency of the lump - hard, soft , semi soft
* do you feel any warmth over the swelling
* is it growing fastly or slow growing

Please get back with any additional useful information regarding your symptoms.

Follow-up: Have pain in shoulder and sore lump on collar bone. Suggest? 22 minutes later
Hi Dr Grief responding to your followup questions
Duration of pain 1 week, pain is continuous and more so with movement;yes pain at rest can not sleep;no falls but have had pain about 6 months ago used heating pad which helped some;yes there is pain in neckalso; intense pain in collar bone area but pain in back of shoulder also;pain is sharp when I move arm;no fever and there is no swelling.
Lump area I noticed today when bathing;only painful when pressed and the collar bone hurts and is fixed to underlining bone;lump is semi-soft; there is warmth over swelling. seems to be slow growing same size since 9 pm. Hope this helps.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your pain may be due to 2 or more conditions

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for the response.

Based on your description of symptoms, Your shoulder pain could be due to -
* a strained muscle as it is becoming worse with movement but pain at rest cannot be expected in a strained muscle. Rest pain could be arising from the bone of arm (Humerus). An xray of the shoulder joint will reveal any bony problem and an MRI scan of the shoulder joint will rule out any soft tissue lesions.
* a cervical disc problem, which may also present with pain in and around the shoulder girdle. An MRI scan is needed to diagnose any lesions in the cervical spine.

Regarding the lump - As it is immobile and is fixed to the underlying bone, it is suggestive of a bony lesion. Either it could be a benign lesion (most propably an inflammatory lesion as there is warmth over the swelling) or malignant (unlikely). Generally benign lesions are slow growing and malignant are fast growing. An xray of the collar bone will differentiate whether it is a bony swelling or a soft tissue swelling. FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) of the lump will define its histological nature.

So, a detailed clinical examination along with appropriate investigations are needed to arrive at a possible diagnosis.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Good day