Have pain in glutes, cannot bend with legs straight, pain while coughing. Whom to see?

I am having pain in Gluteus XXXXXXX region for more than a month now. I can't bend with legs straight as I feel acute pain on those muscle region. When I cough I feel the pain. I have almost no problem in walking or climbing upstairs. However if I am driving for long in the same posture this pain increases. Please suggest what to do whom to see.
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 39 minutes later

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon for this.

There is couple of possibilities in your case.

1. Nerve compression: This could be due to nerve root compression at spinal level or in the local region. The reason for nerve compression could be some disc problem or some improper posture.
2. Some problem with hip joint. This is less likely as you are not having any problem in walking.
3. Bad posture, leading to constant injury to muscle fibers in that area.

Your doctor after examination will be able to guide you properly.

In general,

>Watch your weight
>Avoid activity that leads to pain
>Maintain good posture while seating.
>Take good healthy diet.

Please consult a doctor.

I hope this helps.