Have pain in diaphragm below ribcage and burps. Could it be due to strained muscle or gas?

hi, I have pain (discomfort really), seemingly, in my diaphragm right below my ribcage. It's been on an off for 2 weeks and trying figure out if it could be strained adominal muscle or gas or both. I've been burping more than usual latetly. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It might be important for you to get a proper clinical review. Did you have any notion of trauma? past history of gastritis or gastroesophagal reflux? Is it the first time you are experiencing this? Any hiccup associated?

A simple clinical review coupled with a simple chest X XXXXXXX is sufficient to make a diagnosis. Common transient irritations or the diaphragm, gastroesophagal reflux disease or a diaphragmatic hernia (hiatal hernia) are the most common causes. A lower lobe pneumonia could also be the cause, but its unlikely in this case since there is no fever mentioned.

I suggest you consult your symptoms persist for a proper clinical review.

Thanks and kind regards. Feel very free to ask any further questions if need be. will be honored answering further questions. Wishing you good health.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Have pain in diaphragm below ribcage and burps. Could it be due to strained muscle or gas? 22 minutes later
Helpful, thanks. What would cause a hiarel hernia? Also, I see a therapist for anxiety and though its mostly under control, I had a really bad panic attack about two weeks ago. Could this be related, ie 'all in my head?' Lastly, I'm 6 ft 185lbs, but hide my gut by continuously keep my stomach pulled in tight rather than show it.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 23 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

A hiatal hernia is due to sliding of part of the stomach into the diaphragm. People are general born with this but it becomes symptomatic only later in life. Trigger factors are generally trauma and acid reflux.

I am afraid this might have some indirect relationship, especially in the case you have a past history of gastritis, associated with acid reflux. Stress could accentuate acid secretion. If not, the relationship is really NOT very feasible.

I think you get a clinical review done, with much emphasis on excluding gastritis and reflux . An endoscopy could be useful.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD.