Have pain in bum region. No pain or blood in motion but feel to have incomplete bowel movement. Advise?

General Surgeon
I feel when I have passed a motion that there is still something left in my bum passage. I have not experienced any pain or blood in my motions, just a nagging dull ache in my lower bum region. My motions are normal, not solid or any dhyrohhea present. What could this possibly be please?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

First of all you need to know that every person over the age of 50 (even if do not have any symptoms) should have colonoscopy done every 10 years. It is because the risk of colon cancer significantly rises over the age of 50.

Such feeling of incomplete defecation can be a symptom of colon cancer. This cancer is a very special one. It grows about 10 years and during that time can give no symptoms, or the symptoms can seem to be trivial. Abdominal pain in the lower bum region can also be caused by this disease.
Please note that I`m not saying that you have a cancer. Just pointing that the most important with such symptoms is to make sure there is no cancer.

Other possible reasons of your symptoms are chronic bowels infection, anal fissure, inflammatory bowels disease or just bad diet and low physical activity.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and get scheduled for colonoscopy. You should also increase fiber XXXXXXX products, mineral water intake and start probiotics intake.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.