Have pain in arm. Prescribed Omeprazole. ECG normal. Pain in shoulder and arm. Concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi - i have had pain in my left arm on and off now since around February. It seemed to be related to GERD and my doctor prescribed omeprazole, which seemed to relieve the symptoms. How this week on Tuesday evening after I had been horse riding both my arms ached, this seems to have carried on whereby i am getting more pain in my left arm fairly constantly through out the day. The pain seems to be just above my elbow in the inside of my arm and in my bicep area as well as in my shoulder and to some degree in my arm pit. As well as the achey sort of pain i am getting a warm almost burning sensation in my shoulder and bicep area. My bicep in my right arm is also hurting although not as badly as my left arm. I had an ECG about 10 days ago which was fine and a chest xray just over a week ago which was normal. I have just taken my blood pressure at 118/65 and it usually averages around 122/68 or possibly a bit higher depending on time of day. I am concerned that the arm pain may be heart related or, it does not seem to change depending on exertion (I have been horse riding again today) and I am concerned about the change in that I have not had the burning sensation before, this is the 3 day.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be coming from your spine

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your question.

Arm pain from cardiac cause usually comes during chest pain and as your ECG and other heart investigayions are normal then you need to loom for other causes.
Your symptoms are almost constant which suggest it is most likely coming from either your arm or radiating from trapped nerve in your neck.

I will recommend MRI scan of cervical spine to look for disc bulge ( prolapse) which might be pressing on one of your nerves

Best wishes