Have numbness and pins and needle sensation on foot. What is causing this?

Question
WHAT CAN CAUSE NUMBNESS OR PINS AND NEEDLES ON TOP OF FOOT EVERYDAY?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The term dematone refers to an area of the skin that is supplied by a particular nerve that arises from the spine.

The nerves that are associated with supplying the top of the feet are L5 and S1 dermatone.These are spinal nerves that would pass out from the lower aspect of the spine , the fifth lumbar vertebra (L5).

The fact that you are experiencing persistent numbness in this area of your foot, related to these particular dermatone may indicate that there is problem either where the nerves originate (the lower lumbar vertebra) or somewhere along their pathway.

Conditions such as arthritis of the spine can cause this as well as any spinal problems such as spinal stenosis (narrowing of the passage of the spine) or other types of inflammatory arthritis.

In some persons , if there is a circulatory issue as well with the blood vessels responsible for supplying this area then numbness can result.

You may want to consider visiting your doctor who would be able to assess the blood supply by checking the pulses in the feet, the back and the sensation and movement in all aspects of your lower limbs.
He or she may also suggest some imaging tests of the back.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have numbness and pins and needle sensation on foot. What is causing this? 3 minutes later
I HAVE A DISC HERNIATION AT L5-S1 FROM AN MRI 5 YRS AGO. I GET BACKACHES THAT LAST FOR AWHILE THEN GOES AWAY AND COMES BACK HAVING ANOTHER MRI TODAY.IS IT NORMAL FOR BACK PAIN TO COME AND GOES AND GET THE SYMPTOMS OF NUMBNESS ALSO SOMETIMES I GET A BURNING FEELING ON BOTH THIGHS WHEN I HAVE THE BACKACHES. GETTING WORRIES DUE TO THIS TIME THE BACKACHES LAST LONGER

The disc herniation would definitely contribute to your symptoms.
If the back pain is progressing you may need to have further imaging or repeat imaging.

It is possible for the pain to be intermittent. These spinal nerves do not only supply the foot but other areas of the limbs so could contribute to altered sensation on different aspects of the lower limb

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have numbness and pins and needle sensation on foot. What is causing this? 24 hours later
WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT TRANFERRIN SATURATION ? GOT MY BLOOD WORK IT SAY OUT OF RANGE 14 L . WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS

HI

Transferrin are proteins found in the body that transport iron.Transferrin saturation indicates how much of the transferrin is bound with iron.
A low level may indicate iron deficiency- it is considered low in adults if it is less than 20%.
Your doctor may consider checking your iron levels or may consider iron replacement