Have nodule in middle lobe associated with atelectasis and scarring. Required treatment?

I've been told I have a 5 mm nodule right middle lobe and areas of atelectasis versus scarring within the right middle lobe and lingula. There are scattered bullous changes within the lung base. This was found out in the emergency room and on the final report but was not told what directions to take moving forward.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

As per the description of the clinical data you have given,
A solitary pulmonary nodule associated with atelectasis and scarring is sure an alarming sign. So we should rule out whether the nodule is benign or malignant.

But the signs of atelectasis and scarring are more in favor of malignant nature, but I cannot comment directly on your condition, without examining you clinically and without going through your reports.

I advise you to consult pulmonologist, as soon as possible and discuss about the problem. If required, they will do High Resolution Computed Tomography or HRCT scan and/ PET (Positron emission tomography) -CT to differentiate the nature of the nodule.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts,

If you need further clarification, write back to us.