Have mouth ulcer. CBC, LFT, RFT and HIV test done. Found slightly elevated liver SGOT and bilirubin.

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a 39 y.o woman, no drink/smoke habits. Visited a doctor with mouth ulcers (inside of lips and cheeks) lasting for 3 months. No fever, no pain due to ulcers, no other symptoms at all.
Advised CBC, LFT, RFT & HIV Test. All normal, except platelet count fell to 280,000 (from 0000 a year ago), and SGOT = 88, SGPT = 53, Bilirubin = 1.2, ALK Phosphatase = Nil, Urea = 24, creatinine = 0.7, Hb = 13.9, TLC = 7600, Poly = 55, Lymph = 36, Eosin = 04, Mono = 05.
What would you diagose? Kindly advise.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
First, platelet count is normal. It usually varies from time to time and there is no need to be concerned until it is less than 0000.
You have slightly elevated liver SGOT and bilirubin. It probably means nothing or it can be sign of alcohol consumption, hard exercise or even smoking.
Usually elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin are sign of liver damage of any cause( alcoholic, viral, toxic) or galbladder disorder. But as I said these elevations are minor. anyway, you should do liver and gallbladder ultrasounds to see is there any sign of liver changes (fatty liver or fibrosis) or gallbladder stones. Fatty liver is common condition resulting from metabolic syndrome( raised blood sugar and lipids+ overweight). There is no need for particular medicines, just need to change dietary habbits: avoid alcohol, smoking, fats and fast, fried food and lose weight if necessary. On such treatment your findings should show improvement.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help