Have lump in throat sensation and discomfort at back of tongue around tonsil. Have GORD. Related?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Good morning / evening.

I often have a 'lump in throat' sensation plus a sensation that i can only describe as a discomfort at the back of my tounge and around tonsils. It is not a painful feeling, just an odd one that can make it hard to speak proberly (I.e. Correctly pronounce words / sing)

I suffer with GORD, I wonder, is it an offset of Gastric Reflux?

Kind Regards,
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible enlarged adenoids.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The sensation you are experiencing could be due to enlarged adenoids or tonsils. These are collections of lymph tissue at the back of your throat around the base of your tongue. They are involved in preventing infection entering through the throat. They can become enlarged and give a sensation of fullness in your throat. Enlarged adenoids or tonsils can also cause changes in your speech.
This condition is not related to GORD/gastric reflux.
Enlarged adenoids or tonsils is not a serious condition but can be related to recurrent throat infections. If your speech problems are persistent then I suggest you see an ENT specialist to discuss treatment options. It may be necessary to have an examination of your throat in more detail to make a firm diagnosis.
I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,