Have lump in neck along with high BP, taking irbestran. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013
Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
JUST ISEEN MY REPROT AND DR TOLD ME LUMP IN NECK .I HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have MNG or a thyroid swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I have wide experience in treating head and neck problems including thyroid problems.

I have gone through your reports and I have the following observations and suggestions to make:

- You have a lump in the neck which has been diagnosed as Multi Nodular Goiter or MNG which is actually a swelling of the thyroid gland which happens due to many causes.

- Since your blood tests including thyroid function tests are normal, the swelling has been caused due to unknown cause. Your thyroid levels are normal so you do not need any medications for the same.

- If the MNG has been present for more than three months and is cosmetically visible then you may be advised to undergo surgery for removal of the same. This will remove your enlarged part of thyroid and also the tissue can be sent for biopsy.

- Your high blood pressure in the background of thyroid being normal has not much importance except for the fact that it has to be first controlled with medication and lifestyle modifications (reduce salt intake/ exercise etc) before a proper treatment for the thyroid swelling is initiated.

- If the lump is small and not very visible then you can just leave it be and go for regular follow up with your doctor.

-Make sure that if the lump suddenly increases in size, or gets painful, or you develop voice change then you must immediately consult your doctor.

Thyroid swelling like the MNG is very common and benign condition so do not worry.

Hope your doubts have been cleared and I would be happy to clear any specific ones that you may have.

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Have lump in neck along with high BP, taking irbestran. Suggest? 31 minutes later
so i continue pain killer for uncomfortable pain ? if yes than whichone.when i eat something some voice comming in stomc
any advoice?

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You may take any painkiller like the Acetaminophen for your pain.

Also the voice or rumbling from your stomach indicates that you may have a reflux problem for which you may take anti reflux treatment. I usually start my patients with pantoprazole.

Your doctor will know about these medications

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Have lump in neck along with high BP, taking irbestran. Suggest? 6 hours later
can you give me any tips for lump ?I m worried about it.

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

These are some tips you can follow:

-take lots of green vegetables like spinach
- avoid cabbage which is known to cause thyroid problems
- take only iodized salt
- don't meddle or try to feel the lump
- go for regular follow up every six months
- repeat thyroid blood test every three months

Any suspicious change in size or shape of lump get a consult

But mainly do not worry...

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Have lump in neck along with high BP, taking irbestran. Suggest? 15 hours later
I recieved my ultrasound report now pls have a look and give me advice

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 16 minutes later
hello again,

I have gone through your ultrasound report and it confirmed our earlier diagnosis that you have a multinodular goiter or MNG

As mentioned by me earlier you do not have to take any medication or go for emergency surgery as it is a harmless condition which requires just a regular follow up and good diet which I mentioned earlier.

You can check the thyroid function tests regularly and not worry about the swelling.

Only if the swelling is huge and is bothering you then surgery can be done for cosmetic consideration only and it is an entirely elective surgery

take care and don't worry about the same

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Have lump in neck along with high BP, taking irbestran. Suggest? 16 minutes later
i feel that i have already been taking lemon in green tea and ginger tea as well.Iam allergic to lemon thats i have got swelling and iam sure about that.iam quitting the plan of surgery.i was thinking to undergo surgery as soon as possible.i will undergo ultrasound after one or two months again.?Do i have take the pain killers only in case of any kinda pain?
nd please advise me good diet?

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 13 minutes later
hello again,

I have mentioned your diet earlier, lets have a refresher again:

plenty of green leafy vegetables and lots of fruits
avoid spicy and oily food
avoid vegetables like cabbage which has known to be associated with thyroid problems
take only iodised salt
take plenty of fluids and preferable warm fluids
before you take any medication consult your treating doctor
avoid junk foods like burger etc

hope you follow these

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan