Have lower back pain and pelvic pressure. Advised antibiotic. Looking for suggestion

I have lower back pain, and pelvic pressure. No fever. Dr found trace blood and white cells and ordered antibiotics. She said because I stay so well hydrated she was going to order a urine culture. Why order a culture just because I am we'll hydrated? What's she looking for? Thank you
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
The symptoms and urine analysis are suggestive of infection in the urine. So the logical next step would be to check the urine for any growth called urine culture test.
There is no specific link between hydration and culture test. If the concentrating ability of the kidneys need to be checked, which may be necessary in specific situations (not in your case) then hydration status is a must.
In summary, please collect midstream urine for culture test ( after discarding the initial few mls of urine)
Hope this helps.
Kindly get back for doubts if any,
Follow-up: Have lower back pain and pelvic pressure. Advised antibiotic. Looking for suggestion 36 minutes later
When she found blood and white cell in the urine the fact that I'm well hydrated would have no bearing on the amount of blood or white cells and level of infection, is that correct? I'm concerned about kidney infection.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back. You are correct.
If these are not present, it is simple bladder infection and a course of antibiotics should do the trick. Even if it is kidney infection, three weeks of antibiotics should lead to cure.
Get well soon.
Best Regards