Have labile hypertension. Develped Afib after taking Verapamil. Can medication be worsening Afib?

I have labile hypertension, and 6 years ago my doc convinced me to take BP meds. Weeks after starting verapamil, I developed intermittent paroxymal A-fib, all the cardiac tests were done, nothing structurally wrong with the heart. I notice my Afib starts when I'm resting/sleeping, or if I have any alcohol, and I can get it to stop 9/10 times when I go for a brisk walk. Can verapamil be causing/worsening the A-fib?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
There is no evidence on record of Federal food & Drug Authority (FDA) that verapamil can cause atrial fibrillation. But for hypertension there are many drugs available. When you have found so much about precipitating and relieving factors about the episodic A Fib you get. If you want to change the drug to any other drug, I am sure your doctor will help you in starting you on to a new drug for hypertension. (Diltiazem and B blockers come to mind immediately but there are hundreds of drugs). You can also discuss with him ablatative therapy for Atrial Fibrillation - its advantages, failure rate and advantages. If there is any other query I shall be happy to answer.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW