Have keratosis pilaris. Pinkish skin that itches. Should stop using soaps and moisturizers?

I have a son, almost 3 year old. he seems to have "keratosis pilaris". His skin became like chicken skin with pinkish at some places and itchy at few places and few times. We can confirm its that problem. But he seems to have such chicken skin kind of bumps on his tounge too. Not too much and its clear that the pores or what ever looks like bumps on his tounge now. Can that problem "keratosis pilaris", come on tounge too? What is best way to remove itchiness, besides not using soaps and applying mositurizer frequently?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later

Keratosis pilaris is a chronic condition and usually runs in families.

Oral Vitamin A and Topical Retinoic acid are treatment of choice. Glycolic Acid has also been used in treating cases. Discuss these things with your treating doctor.

Keratosis pilaris doesnot affect any mucosal sites like eyes and oral cavity. Genitals are also not affected.

The skin once treated can again be affected with new crop of lesions and treatment hence has to be an ongoing process.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Have keratosis pilaris. Pinkish skin that itches. Should stop using soaps and moisturizers? 3 hours later
is atopic dermatitis different from this?
the pediatrician recommended only moisturizing cream and topcort cream for itching relief.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later
Yes, atopic dermatitis and keratosis pilaris are 2 different conditions, although keratosis pilaris might be seen in a very few patients of atopic dermatitis.
Further, the treatment for atopic dermatitis will not produce relief for the lesions seen in keratosis pilaris.
I would suggest that you see a dermatologist so that a proper examination is done and appropriate treatment can be started.

Dr.Rohit Batra