Have itchy face, burning and red inflammation, swollen eyes and lips. Had sun allergy. Applied lotion containing cortisone

I have itchy face - burning and red inflammation - My eyes are swollen and lips as well - it has occurred before when it was diagnosed as a sun allergy, but it reoccurred at 3AM this morning, and I was hardly outside yesterday since we have a 40o heat wave....I applied the lotion that contains cortisone and took so far 4 benadril pills
Can i be heat related ?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later

Thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health question today. I am so sorry to hear about the , inflamed and itchy swellings on your face.

From your symptoms, the suspicion of an allergic reaction is very high. What remains to be identified is the cause. I will agree with your doctor on the diagnosis of an allergic reaction but not on the sun being its cause. Sun allergic is rare as a diagnosis. This most likely represents angioedema. The classical treatment is antihistaminics (like Benadryl).

I am very clear on this. It is not caused by sun. Keep a good monitoring of products/drugs/foods to find out what products have been or are associated with the appearance of this condition. The drugs will help but you have to do the task finding mission of what the possible cause is as mentioned above.

I hope this answers your query fully. If there are any more related questions or worries, please feel free to ask them and i will be more than happy to address them. I wish you a good health and keep me posted.
Dr. Ditah, MD.

The most important thing to do is to identify the culprit. if it should be very recurrent then doing some immunologic tests to identify the cause is very important. Some of the most common causes include allergens(pollen, animal dander, etc), medications(mostly high blood drugs) and foods. Keeping a good diary to see if there are anythings in common on days you get to have this reaction.
Follow-up: Have itchy face, burning and red inflammation, swollen eyes and lips. Had sun allergy. Applied lotion containing cortisone 5 minutes later
Could it have anything to do with high level of heat and humidity?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 43 minutes later
The response is NO.

It is an allergic reaction and requires that an allergen be present. Heat and humidity may favor the proliferation of an allergen that enjoy these conditions but cannot directly cause this same reaction.

Hope you find this helpful.
Dr. Ditah,MD.