Have itching in labia, buttocks and clitoris with white discharge after menses. Prescribed Candid and Flucos. Completed clomid

I am sufferring from itching in labia for the past 6 months with some white discharge usually after my menses.initially it was mild but now there is severe itching all over and has extended to the buttocks too, my clitoris turns hard and itches and burns at the same time. my obgyn prescribed Candid-v gel for topical application and one flucos 150mg tablet to be taken once.this helped for a few days. after applying the gel i get relief for 2-3 days, then after stopping the application it recurs.
i did my blood sugar test which was normal.presently for the last cycle i was on duphaston and now since the last 5 days i've completed clomid 50mg tablets. im trying to conceive. but sex becomes painful and i get bruised and inflammed after sex.
i maintain genital hygiene, dont use floral scented tea tree oil products for washes.
now my gynaec referred me to a dermatologist.
please suggest treatment.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaginal swab for culture; complete treatment.

Detailed Answer:

In the current scenario, you may need to postpone your ovulation induction cycles as the drugs used to treat your itching may not be advisable in early pregnancy should you conceive.

You should get a vaginal swab for culture and based on the observation go for specific treatment. Candidial vaginitis usually responds to treatment within 2-3 days but local treatment should be given for 14 days along with oral treatment for 7 days. Incomplete treatment can result in resistant organisms and recurrent infections. Other causes of infection also should be thought of and tested for.

Sexual intercourse should be avoided until complete relief and the male partner also should be treated prophylactically. Intercourse during a menstrual cycle also can cause infection due to trauma. Use of spermicidal local applications, chemical irritants and diabetes as causes are ruled out in your case.

You should also use anti-histamines to avoid severe itching. Get an opinion from the dermatologist as well. Dryness of the area also can cause itching even without any infection. Application of olive oil or calamine lotion can help.

If candidiasis is established as the cause of the itching, complete treatment along with prophylaxis for at least six months is advised.

Hope your query is answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.