Have irregular periods. Test showed ESR count of 36. What are the risks?

I have got an ESR count of 36...Is it a problem...I have been asked to take a blood test for diagonising PCOD...I have been obese and got irregular period cycles

I am getting the menstrual cycle in 20 days...Last time the flow was scanty ,but this time it is very heavy...
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Raised ESR can be due to associated anemia with irregular periods (low hemoglobin).

Also if you got your blood test done during menses then it also affects your ESR values causing it to be higher.

The irregular periods you have with obesity can be well explained by PCOD.

However getting a thyroid function test is also a must. This because both irregular periods and raised ESR are seen with thyroid disorders.

Anemia can also affect your cycles.

Weight loss is a key to solving your problem of irregular menses apart from the treatment you take.
The success of any treatment for regularizing periods is dependent on reducing the excess weight you have.

Regular exercise with balanced diet will ensure this.

Kindly revert back if you have further queries.