Have infected sebaceous cyst on back and prescribed bactrium and had yeast infection with fever. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hi. I've been told I have an infected seabacous cyst on my back and was prescribed Bactrim DS. How long should it take to work? I'm on day 5 and it's still sore and slightly swollen. It has given me a bad yeast infection as well. I've had a low grade fever off and on...
Oh yes...the doctor's office also gave me a flu shot the same day.
Please help.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is better to drain the pus

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting in XXXXXXX

The usual course of antibiotic is 1 week for infected sebaceous cyst.

I have treated many cases of infected sebaceous cysts.
Under antibiotic cover, I prefer to give incision over the cyst and drain the pus and try to remove the entire contents of the cyst along with its wall.

Sometimes, I give a elliptical incision surrounding the cyst and remove the swelling as a whole.

As you are taking antibiotic and still there is no response, I request you to XXXXXXX your doctor and get it removed. Since thrush is getting worse, you should discuss with your doctor about further antibiotic use.

Hope I answered your query.

If you have any further questions, I will clarify.

Wish you speedy recovery