Have hypertension. Why am I feeling nauseous at night?

Dec 2012

I have been waking up feeling nauseous for the last two nights... it also happened about a week ago... can you please tell me why this is happening? I have recently been to Bali but stayed in the city area... but having said that I felt very tired for about four days afterwards but have now caught up on my sleep. I have no other medical problems apart from hypertension... my health otherwise is pretty good.
I just don't understand these feelings of nausea... it happened twice last night and the night before and a week ago it happened three times during the night but on only one day...
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on HCM

Nausea is a non-specific symptom that can be due to any diseases condition. I will like to know if you are on any type of medication ( antihypertensive?). The most frequent causes probably related to you (according to your age, hypertensive disease and the fact that you recently traveled and then got fatigue/tiredness) are motion sickness, dizziness, fainting, anxiety, disgust and/or depression. Food poisoning and gastroenteritis are not among the lists because you do not present with other classical symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting and the fact that your nausea has been for a couple of days. Migraine or headache/dizziness due to hypertension can also cause nausea.
Focusing on motion sickness for now will be good. You can take antiemetic medication such as diphenhydramine or metochlopramide.
If the symptoms persist after giving yourself a couple of days, you can pay a visit to a neuropsychiatrist or first to a GP or an internist.

Hope this helps and if you need further clarification, please do feel free to write back.
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Have hypertension. Why am I feeling nauseous at night? 8 minutes later
Hi doctor XXXXXXX ... I am on norvasc 5mg for my hypertension... Plus I also take multivitamins... I feel absolutely no nausea during the day I jst seems to b when I sleep... Because it is hot I hv had my fan on all night as well .. Could these factors be contributing to it as well?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 41 minutes later
Thanks for writing back
Norvasc 5mg (amlodipine) has as one of its side effects to be nausea according to the manufacturers. But you need not stop the drug ( not without your doctor's advice) and since the symptom occurs only nocturnally/at night. Hot environment can mic mic nausea and plus the fact that the hottest can cause other physiologic problems. I do feel your nausea is physiologic and is nothing to really worry about. Just give yourself a couple of days and i believe you will better. You can take antiemetic medications if symptom is moderate or severe.

Wish you the best
Dr Nsah