Have hyperglycemia. Morning cortisol level are high. Is it related??

Question
I AM HAVING MORNING CORTISOL LEVEL 30.99ug/ dl . CAN IT BE CAUSE OF PERSITENT HYPERGLYEMIA AND SHOULD BE DIFFERENTIALLY RULED OUT WITH TYPICAL DIABETES TYPE 2? I AM HAVING HYPERGLYCEMIC STATE SINCE 8 YEARS WHICH RESPONDS WELL WITH ORAL HOMOEOPATHIC AND ALLOPATHIC PRESCRIPTIONS. RECENTLY BLOOD SUGAR RANDOM WAS 309 WITHOUT ANY MEDICINES FOR LAST FEW MONTHS.
PLS ADVISE
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 58 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Thanks so much for the curios question. The most important thing to note here is that there is a high blood glucose level which is persistent, thus a high probability of diabetes mellitus or you have diabetes mellitus which must be treated absolutely to avert complications. The etiology (cause) or the diabetes mellitus needs certainly to be investigated further.

To have a clear cut idea on the blood glucose control or levels over time, you shall have to do Serum Glycated Hemoglobin levels (HbA1c). This gives an accurate measure of the blood glucose evolution over a period of 3 months, and is fundamental in evaluating therapeutic success or failure.

I strongly suggest you consult an endocrinologist/diabetologist, first for a serum Glycated Hemoglobin level (HbA1c) for confirmation and institution of appropriate management based on the results. Results less than 7% are generally good. Raised blood glucose levels not controlled certainly will predispose you to classic complications of diabetes (mainly heart, eyes, brain, kidney, nerves, feet etc).
A detailed evaluation of the endocrinologist with identification of the probable cause either due to the high cortisol levels or others shall be important to tackle the source of raised glucose levels. In case of high cortisol levels, high steroids like cortisol for sure cause high glucose levels or diabetes. Adrenal disease and drugs containing steroids are the main causes,.Your endocrinologist shall be well placed to do in depth investigations and offer appropriate treatment protocols.

I strongly therefore suggest you consult your endocrinologist.

Thanks and best regards. I shall be ready and honored answering any further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.