What causes persistent yawning?

Dec 2012

hi, its been a few months now that I've been yawing way too much for my liking. its getting me a little worried
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Too much yawning could mean underlying problem Detailed Answer: Hello Dachille, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am pleased to be able to assist you. Yawning in adults (which is often normal) occurs most often immediately before and after sleep, during tedious activities and as a result of its contagiousness, and is commonly associated with tiredness, stress, overwork, lack of stimulation and boredom, though studies show it may be linked to the cooling of the brain. If you have persistent or recurrent yawning, then you need to identify the trigger yourself, which can be found just by observing your environment. Ones trigger is found, you can then eliminate yawning by trying to eliminate trigger. For example, excess fatigue can cause excessive yawning. Getting rid of the fatigue by having much rest can help. If your fatigue is due to an underlying diseases condition, which you may not identify yourself, then you will need to see a doctor who can help identify and treat the cause. Medical conditions such as diabetes, adrenal disorder etc. Use of certain illicit drugs (contain chemicals such as serotonin, dopamine, glutamic acid, and nitric oxide) that affect emotions, mood, appetite etc could be responsible. Individuals in opioid withdrawal exhibit a greatly increased frequency of yawning. Other prescription drugs can often trigger excessive yawning. If you are not taking any drugs of any kind, then that should be ruled out. I suggest, you try making a list of any recent condition in your life that might be responsible even the irrelevant ones. That can help you identify the trigger. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah