Have hypercalcemia. Taking wellbutrin and sensipar. Getting blurred vision and shock waves in brain

Dec 2014

So this is going to sound crazy, but I started taking Wellbutrin a couple weeks ago. I feel what I can only describe as "shock waves" in my brain. It only lasts a few seconds. This is followed by a tightening of the right side of my scalp, and left ear area. Again only lasting a few seconds. It disrupts my vision, like everything is completely blurry for a few seconds then back to normal. I also do feel a little "lost" or "not in my own mind" feeling. Anyway, I know this sounds crazy. Anything I should worry about? I also take Viramin D, Sensipar for hypercalcemia. That's all. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 20 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are a 32 year old male with problem of hypercalcemia and depression. You are taking Bupropion 300 mg, Sensipar and Vitamin D tablets. You are having problems of shock waves in brain for few seconds followed by tightness of scalp and ear area. The symptoms are associated with visual blurring.

See most likely the symptoms are slight increase in anxiety which can occur during initial stages of therapy. Slight increase in anxiety may occur when wellbutrin is started. The symptoms go by 1-2 weeks.

Also Bupropion (wellbutrin) is known to lower the threshold of seizures and it can precipitate seizures. The symptoms you are having might be due to some abnormal seizure. Visual blurring, shock waves in brain and tightness in face may occur due to some partial seizure. If symptoms are rally bothersome then please visit your consulting Psychiatrist for expert evaluation. Get your EEG done to rule out any seizure focus in brain.

Hope it helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD