Have hepatitis A, advised rice-based steamed food. Can I take onions, tomatoes, ladies finger, potatoes, pepper and dal?

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis A about 10 days ago and I am taking medications as prescribed by my doctor. The liver enzymes level have come down and there is good improvement in bilirubin levels as well. I could feel that my appetite is improving as I feel hungry at right times of the day. Doctor had advised me to take rice base steam cooked foods along with small quantities of clear sambhar and rasam. But, I don't have a clear idea on what ingredients / vegetables to avoid. Also, I am being pounded with suggestions from relatives which makes it even more harder to decide.

Specifically, Can I take the following?:
1. Onions (small / big)
2. Tomatoes
3. Ladies finger, potatoes, carrot, beans
4. pepper
5. Dry chappatis / phulka
6. dhal

Please advise on any specific vegetable to avoid during this recovery period.
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 3 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your predicament as every person will tell you his or her own dietary restrictions when you suffer from acute viral hepatitis. However, medically there is hardly any restriction as far as food is concerned.

You can take all the food items that you have listed. In general you should take normal, low fat, palatable diet. There is no specific restriction except for excess fats. You can take fats also but in less amount.

I will be pleased to answer if you have any other query regarding your problem.

Best wishes, Get well soon.

Dr Dinesh Singal