Have hbsag -ve, anti hbs was 4. Given booster. Now >1000. Meaning?

Gastroenterologist
Question
my son is hbsag -ve,his anti hbs was 4,so given booster now it is >1000 .what does it mean
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

HBsAg is marker for infection with hepatitis B virus. It is negative, then it indicates, your son is not having that infection.

Anti HBs is the antibody against HBsAg. Antibodies are protective substances in blood. They are naturally produced by the immune system when the virus enters your body or it can be acquired by getting vaccinated.

Your son's initial Anti HBs was too low to be protective. Hence a booster dose of the vaccine was given and now the antibody level has increased to the extent that it would protect him against Hepatitis B virus infection.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have hbsag -ve, anti hbs was 4. Given booster. Now >1000. Meaning? 13 minutes later
he needs 2nd dose of booster? is high anti hbs of more than 1000 is ok .does he require any other test

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He does not need a second booster.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.

No, he does not need a second booster dose.
Yes, his current antibody titer is Ok and is protective.
No, he does not need any other test.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have hbsag -ve, anti hbs was 4. Given booster. Now >1000. Meaning? 35 minutes later
in fact,he has to donate blood to his father ,but screening test for blood donation said he cant donate blood.since his anti hbs titre was that time 4,was that the reason not fit for blood donation.father is hbsag +ve

i want to ask some question about my husband..can i?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:
I do not know why they said he cannot donate blood. If he is positive for HBsAg, then he cannot donate blood. But he is only negative for HBsAg.

Yes, you can ask questions about your husband.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini