Have had severe shoulder pain. Noticed crack in neck and pain in head. Is this related to cancer?

Sep 2012

Hi, My name is XXXXXXX My age is 33. Last year October 2011, I had left Upper back severe shoulder pain (i.e below neck). After some days like 4-5 days it eased up allowing me turn my neck flexible but with little pain. After that incident, after 3 months (Feb 2011), my neck began to hander up. Now for the last 4 months, I have severe neck cracks (i.e I feel hard in my neck, when I turn or tilt, a crack sound occurs and I get relieved). Now slowly my pain is radiating towards my up head and ears also. Now also I have some pinch pain when I tilt my head to my left shoulder.I feel hard in surrounding ear , when i crack my neck , it relieves me. Nowadays I getting very frequent hard in my neck causing me to crack my neck frequently i.e for every 15 min. Sometimes my pain is radiating to my head. Please forgive my grammar mistakes if there are any. Is this a cause of any serious illness like neck cancer or tumor ?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
The symptoms you told are related to musculoskeletal sytem. The hardness in neck is probably due to spending lots of time in one position. Radiation of pain to head indicates a possibility of presence of cervical spondylosis. The parascapular muscles of the upper back are not made to sit for long duration and work. They need micro break exercises during your work hours once every hour.
This is not due to presence of any neck cancer or tumor, because in those case presentation of the disease is different.
So, do not worry. Consult with any orthopedic surgeon for investigations ( like CT Scan, MRI of cervical vertebra) and further management. They can demonstrate good exercises at your desk if your problem can be managed conservatively.
Let me know if you have more concerns to be addressed.