Have had severe diarrhea, vomiting and cramping. Blood and stool test negative. Had dehydration. Suggest?

Question
I HAVE HAD SEVERE DIARHEA, VOMITING AND CRAMPING THE LAST 7 DAYS. I HAVE SEEN MY DOCTOR TWICE AND HAD BLOOD AND STOOL TESTS DONE. SUPPOSEDLY TESTS WERE NEGATIVE. ALSO FRIDAY I WENT TO EMERGENCY ROOM DUE TO DEHYFRATION. SYMPTONS STILL PERSIST. ANY THOUGHTS ON WHAT THE CAUSE COULD BE AND ANY SUGGESTIONS.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

More than 90% of cases of acute diarrhea are caused by infection and the majority of these are viral in nature; symptoms can persist anywhere from 3 to 21 days and the most important thing is to stay well hydrated and replace electrolytes; some people advocate for the use of probiotics to reestablish normal flora. If there are dysenteric features, such as blood and mucus in the stools a short course of an antibiotic may be need suspecting a potential bacterial infection. But as I said most of them are viruses. if your symptoms do persist more than 3 weeks, then it would be unusual for a regular type of infection and you should see back your doctor.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN