Have had epsiode of shingles, blister on neck below ear and painful lump behind ear. What to do?

recent epsiode of shingles, blister on neck below ear. Now wih small painful lump directly behind ear. sort of itchy
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 20 minutes later
Shingles is a constant challenge for elderly. It is an infection by Varicella zoster which results in water filled like blisters, they are usually unilateral.
They are basically a reactivation of virus due to a dip in immunity due to some inter-current health problem.
The blister can be infected with bacteria after some time.
The lump behind your ear has appeared due to bacterial infection of the blisters that is causing an lymph node enlargement.
You should take oral antivirals for 10-14 days and apply local acyclovir gel which reduce the time and intensity of the disease.
I would suggest you to have a review to your dermatologist/physician.
Meanwhile maintain good hydration.
Follow-up: Have had epsiode of shingles, blister on neck below ear and painful lump behind ear. What to do? 47 minutes later
I understand about the antivirals, however, if bacteria is affecting the blister, why not an antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 16 hours later
Welcome back,
No antibacterials because mostly that does not require them, body's immunity is able to handle it mostly. Still if it continues and you also develop fever then antibacterials would also be needed.
I wish a great health for you.