Have had diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Rashes appeared on leg. Is related to the gastroenteritis?

My husband has just gotten over 2 1/2 days of diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness without medical treatment but now has a rash that started on his legs and has ascended to his abdomen. it's ver itchy to him, and there are large areas of red, raised ridges and bumps, but no blisters or pustules. Do you think th rash is related to the gastroenteritis or a separate issue, such as contact dermatitis?
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Skin rash described by you can be contact dermatitis,tinea corporis ,papular urticaria etc.

Most likely it appears that it is a separate issue unrelated to diarrhea.

You can give tab zyrtac to him for itching.Also you can apply calamine lotion over the affected area.It is soothing lotion and will comfort him.

Also if you can upload photos of the affected area,it would be helpful to predict the condition.

The photos can be uploaded using a feature on right side of the box.

Upload the photos and we can continue discussion here.

dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Have had diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Rashes appeared on leg. Is related to the gastroenteritis? 17 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX for your advice!

I was just about to take a picture of the rash, now that my husband is home from work, but he reports it is almost gone. He currently doesn't even itch where the remnants of the rash are, despite no benadryl since noon!

I am not sure we'll be able to pinpoint the source unless it reappears, but we'll certainly take not knowing over the agony again!

Thank you again,
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi again,

If the rash recurs please take a image and upload it.So as to discuss its nature.

If you are satisfied by the answer accept it and rate it at the end.

Dr Sudarshan.