Have had blood test for sugar and cholesterol. What are the findings?

Hi i am 31 years of age. I got my blood resulys back and my triglycerides were 458 my cholesterol was 166 and my glucose was 88
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 15 minutes later
Dear patient

Thanks for the health concerns.

The good news is that total cholesterol and fasting blood sugar are normal; the bad news is that triglycerides are quite elevated the normal is less than 150. You need to significantly cut down the amount of carbohydrates you eat, meaning sugars or anything sugary, pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, and similars, and at the same time, use those triglycerides as fuel for your muscle with regular exercise. If you engage in this behavior firmly for 3 months then the triglyceride levels can be repeated and see where you are at.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have had blood test for sugar and cholesterol. What are the findings? 39 minutes later
Dr Salazar,
Thanks for the speedy response. For the last 2 month before I took the test I tried to cut out all carbs, I have lost about 15lb. I am still about 45lbs over weight. But I was on a coconut water drinking binge I was drinking about 90grams of sugar a day. I was a little concerned because all my results which I have attached came back normal but the triglycerides. Is that normal? and my other question is could have the coconut water elevated the results? Another quick question can I participate in hard work outs and exercise with my triglycerides being that high, will I have any negative effects?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 12 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Indeed, I think that the elevated triglycerides could be consequence of extra carbs from the coconut water, imagine you said 90 grams of sugar, which means an extra 400 calories a day just from that! Most of those carbs are turned into triglycerides.

In terms of exercise, the triglycerides will not be a limiting factor for your workouts.

Congratulations on your weight loss, keep up the good work.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar