Have had autoimmune gastritis and suffering from snoring. Required treatment?

ENT Specialist
I have been snoring very loudly for the past year to the point my husband has to go and sleep somewhere else (I don't have any tonsils or adnoids). I also get a tickly cough each night when I lie down. I've tried nasal sprays and antacids, nothing seems to help... A few years back I was diagnosed with autoimmune gastritis, don't know if that has anything to do with this, but it's driving me (and my husband) crazy...
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

First of all, I would like to reassure you, that this is a very simple problem and with appropriate intervention it can be take care of.

You are suffering from a condition called ‘Snoring & Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome’ (OSAS). Studies have shown that up to 50% of adults snore. OSAS occurs when there are repeated episodes of complete or partial blockage of the upper airway during sleep. Snoring is sometimes the only sign that a patient has or is developing sleep apnea. This can have various side effects on body and later becomes dangerous/life-threatening.

Most common causes for OSAS are:
1.     Obesity – it is a major risk factor for sleep apnea because, the excessive body fat can place strain on the muscles in the throat and push the tongue back into the throat.
2.     Narrow airways in the upper respiratory tract - the condition is also more common among people who have smaller airways in their nose, throat, or mouth.
3.     Wrong posture during sleep.

Your problem has to be managed meticulously.

My suggestions to you are:
1.     Drink plenty of warm water
2.     Sleep in the semi-recumbent position, instead of sleeping on the back
3.     Consult a good ENT specialist for a complete examination of the nose and throat
4.     Exercise regularly, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables; avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/smoking/greasy food

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon