Have granulomatous cheilitis. No use of cosmetic surgery. Any treatment?

Question
Hi Doctor, I am 27 year old guy and i am suffering from granulomatous cheilitis from last 4 years . I had a one cosmetic surgery but there was no use. Please suggest Is there any treatment available for the same.
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 3 hours later

There is no systematic review and assessment of current treatments in the literature for granulomatous cheilitis, because they have proven exceedingly difficult. Those therapies that have shown promise principally consist of agents with anti-inflammatory activity such as corticosteroids and immunomodulatory medications, but the poor understanding of the aetiological mechanisms underpinning this disease has significantly hampered the development of an effective approach to treatment.

I would suggest you several treatment options: oral corticosteroids (prednisone 30 mg/day); intralesional injections of triamcinolone (10 mg every other week, four courses, 10 mg once a month in three courses); topical tacrolimus; oral roxithromycin 150 mg/day for three months; clofazimine 200 mg/day for four months; and adalimumab therapy (80 mg the first week, 40 mg the second week, and every two weeks in a continuous course of treatment).

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have granulomatous cheilitis. No use of cosmetic surgery. Any treatment? 42 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks a lot for all advice!!

I have few question .
1. The treatment you suggests should I need to start all the treatments together ( in a single course of time) .

2. Is there any surgery available for this diseases ?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 17 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

You should not need to start all the treatments together (in a single course of time), because as I have recommend you first time too, there are a few treatment options, so you should try one treatment in a course of time.

Regarding any surgery available for this disease, plastic surgeons treat the lip enlargement with lip reduction, but in my opinion you should try first the other options first, especially because you had a one cosmetic surgery but there was no use.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD