Have folliculitis in shaft of penis. Skin looks red and scaling noticed. Using lamsil antifungal jock itch spray. Cure?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I believe I have folliculitis on the shaft of my penis. The hair follicles aroudn the base got enflamed after i went running and didn't shower for 6 hours on a very hot and humid day. The skin is red around the follicles and also there is slight scaling where skin will rub off. I'm wondering what I can do to treat this. I've been using lamsil antifungal jock itch spray since monday and have only had slight improvement. Also, should I refrain from having sex with this? Thanks,
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic
Folliculitis is a bacterial infection of hair follicle and an antibiotic cream like neosporin will help, not lamsil.
Is it painful or itchy ?
Do you see any pus pointing from the hair follicle ?

You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

All you know it might be irritated fordyce's spots and not an infection at all.

You should refrain from sexual intercourse only if it is an STI like herpes.
Kindly send me a photo so that I can diagnose and give proper advice.

Follow-up: Have folliculitis in shaft of penis. Skin looks red and scaling noticed. Using lamsil antifungal jock itch spray. Cure? 8 minutes later
I have uploaded a picture. The redness is mainly around hair follicles. Please recommend a treatment. How long to heal do you think?
I am able to squeeze a little bit of clear fluid from the follicle. It is not painful or itchy. I didn't even notice it until I saw it.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Welcome back.
What you are having is folliculitis. I see that your hair over the penis is short. Did you trim it or shave it ? Was the shaving or trimming prior to onset of this rash ?

This is not herpes or fungal infection. You can apply antibiotic cream (neosporin ) thrice a day till it subsides. You need not refrain from sexual intercourse.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Have folliculitis in shaft of penis. Skin looks red and scaling noticed. Using lamsil antifungal jock itch spray. Cure? 12 minutes later
I did trim somewhat recently...maybe a few days before it showed up. Thanks for your help!

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 18 minutes later
This folliculitis could be because of trimming the pubic hair short. Trimming and shaving can introduce infection into follicles and also can cause pseudofolliculitis where hair gets trapped inside the skin. This is common for pubic hair as they are more thicker and curly.
Apply neosporin thrice a day and it will be alright.