Have flu like symptoms and getting red itchy bumps on back. Right medication?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Have/had the flu "symptoms" since Sunday. Now feeling better and now breaking out with red itchy red bumps on back.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if give more information about the rashes like :-

1. Whether the presence of rashes is localized to one side of body only or it is generalized on your back?
2. Whether pain is associated with the rashes?

Rahes after fever can be seen if the fever is viral. Other cause can be Herpes, but it is localized to one half of the body and is associated with pain. You should get yourself examined clinically to confirm the diagnosis.

Taking antihistaminic like Fenofexadine, will help in relief from itching sensation. You can take symptomatic treatment for your flu. Please do consult your family physician before taking any medication. If fever is present, take paracetamol. Drink lots of pure water.

Rest will speed up the recovery.
Have fresh fruits and vegetables in diet to increase the immunity.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Have flu like symptoms and getting red itchy bumps on back. Right medication? 2 hours later
The rash is on my back and around my stomach not my legs, arms or face. It's itchy and sometimes hot or burning sensation but no pain. I don't think i have a threat of Herpes but how would this be a factor?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for providing more information.

According to the information given by you, the rash seems to be associated with viral infection and will subside gradually on its own.

Herpetic rash are present on only one side of mid-line of body and never crosses the other side. They are usually preceded by flu like symptoms.

I would advise you that you should get yourself clinically examined by your doctor for other possibilities of rash on the body.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any doubts, please mention.