Have fibroid rumors that have caused bleeding and cramping. Recommended partial hysterectomy. Guide?

I'm 35, have two fibroid rumors that have recently caused excessive bleeding and slight cramping for a month and half. The first fibroid was diagnosed in 2008 and since has doubled in size to a small orange and I have developed a second one about the size of a golf ball. Obgyn recommendation is a partial hysterectomy, just removing my uterus. She says I'm not a candidate for laproscopic or vaginal due to the size of my uterus which she says is normal size but too large for that procedure. Unsure what to is scheduled for next week...
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

I have read your query with diligence.

The size of one fibroid is that of a small orange. The other one is about the size of a golf ball.

We could try a conservative approach here. The operating surgeon could only remove the fibroids and leave the uterus intact. You are still 35 yrs old. This needs to be taken into consideration.

Fibroidectomy or removal of the fibroids can be done through vaginal approach. An average skilled OBGYN specialist could do this procedure easily. I am not sure if your treating doctor has the required experience and skills to perform the surgery. If vaginal fibroidectomy is not possible, we can also go through the open abdominal route, remove the fibroid and retain the uterus in its place. Laparoscopy is not possible in your case.

Please re-think on your decision. Perhaps, speak and request your treating doctor to change the surgical procedure to a more conservative one.

In my view, partial hysterectomy is not the right choice for you. The uterus should remain inside (to the most part of it) in you for a few more years.

I would like you to take a wise decision.

Take care and get well soon.