Have fever. Blood test showed low ABS lymphocyte count. Took antibiotic. Viral infection?

I've been having trouble getting over the common cold. I'm 5 weeks into the virus and spiked a fever on week 4. I thought maybe it was a secondary infection and went to the doctor, they ran blood which came back normal...except. My Auto ABS Lymph is .7 & my Auto % is 8.3. My Vit is slightly low at 28, but I live in the no surprise there. Do I need to follow up with my doctor or is this normal. This is the 3rd time in a year my body has had trouble fighting infection. It took me 6 weeks to get over a common cold last year & a simple bladder infection took 8 weeks and two types of antibiotics to overcome. (I've had in 2 yrs.) I've struggled with extreme fatigue over the past 2 yrs, this is not normal for me. I could easily sleep all day and all night if I could. I went from working all day, coaching at night, and playing 4 games of soccer per week to barely functioning. I puked after my last soccer game...again, not normal for me. I have a lump on my neck the doctor says is normal, and an adrenal adenoma that is non-funtcioning. Otherwise, I'm a happy healthy person.
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 8 hours later

I had gone through your query and the reports you have attached. All the tests are within the normal range. ABS Lymphocyte count is slightly on the lower side, probably due to the viral infection. We commonly encounter such low counts at times of infection. So those values do not concern me.

I also do not find any other factor to explain the low vitamin D levels. You are right, perhaps this may be due to reduced sun exposure.

That being said, yes it is a of concern when recovery from a simple infection takes a long time. However the recovery period following any infection varies individually and symptoms do last for a few weeks in some individuals.

As your test came normal, I would suggest you to visit an ENT surgeon to look for deviated nasal septum, sinus inflammation and other local nasal problems that may be causing the persisting common cold symptoms. In the interim you may try steam inhalation frequently - it helps!!

In addition, I would suggest you to take preventive measures such as:
1. Always wash your hands and face with soap before having food.
2. Have only freshly cooked food. Avoid refrigerated food items.
3. Avoid drinking cold water.
4. Include more of vegetables and fruits in your diet.
5. Take VIt C, Vit D and Vit B Complex supplements

Hope I had been able to answer your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Wish you a speedy recovery.