Have facial hair and irregular period. Should I be alarmed and get tested for polycystic ovaries?

I am asking for some advice when it comes to polycystic ovaries. I think that I have some symptoms when it comes to facial hair and I have always had irregular periods, plus it runs in the family. I would like to get it checked out but insurance has been inconsistant for me and so I do not want to have a pre-existing if there is a break in my insurance, or a change in company. Would you recommend that I get this check out sooner than later? If so why? And are there other symptoms that I ought to be aware of in order to "self-diagnose"? If I do have this is there something that I can be doing in order to take more preventative measures?

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 minutes later
Polycystic ovaries are commonly seen in most women.Its not life threatening.It basically occurs due to hormonal imbalance in the body.Your symptoms include irregular periods,excessive body and facial hair,weight gain,fertility issues etc.
And ultrasound and blood hormone profile is required to establish the diagnosis.You can suspect but cannot self diagnose without labs.
This syndrome may cause some issues with fertility and you may/may not require some treatment if you have infertility issues.Unless you have severe symptoms,that you cannot manage,or have fertility issues,you can have yourself checked as and when you want.Im afraid you cannot prevent a hormonal imbalance,but since there is a tendency of weight gain,you can work to prevent that.