Have extreme pain in legs and feel stretching. Used to stand for prolonged hours. Suggest?

My father age is 51 and nature of business is tailoring where he has to be in standing position maximum time like almost 7 to 8 hour but till now by Allah’s grace he do not have any disease but now a days his leg are paining and he can feel some stretching in legs. He do morning walks for 30 minutes. Suggest some good medication for him for regular routine.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload images...

Detailed Answer:

Occupation has larger impact on health in many cases. In individuals who are used to standing for prolonged hours are prone to arthritis as well as varicose veins. I presume the term 'stretching in legs' that you describe relates to dilated and tortuous veins seen in varicose veins.

And since varicose veins can cause pain and discomfort, I would be able to comment further if you can confirm my interpretation. If you are unable to describe in better words, you can compare images of varicose veins from google or upload pictures of the affected areas on this site using the "upload" feature available.

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Have extreme pain in legs and feel stretching. Used to stand for prolonged hours. Suggest? 12 minutes later
the term "varicose veins" is not there in my father case because we regular do massage of his legs. but the indication which you are giving i believe this can happen in near future so to avoid this all kindly suggest and also for his regular diet and digestion because in this age all this precaution should be taken.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Massage and varicose vein can be unrelated...

Detailed Answer:
Massage and varicose vein are not related. Further varicose veins can be noted only after prolonged standing and disappear at rest.

Presuming he doesn't suffer from varicosity at all, the cause of pain may be due to mechanical pressure, sustained muscular efforts, diminished blood flow, arthritis and perhaps other non recognisable causes. It would be a futile attempt to determine the exact cause of pain and the right treatment without a clinical examination and evaluation. I would definitely recommend that you take your father and consult a surgeon. A detailed clinical examination of the limb, its vascularity needs to be done. A few investigations such as thyroid function, blood sugar and calcium levels need to be assessed.

At this point, without an opportunity to evaluate your father, I suggest him to avoid prolonged standing posture. He can also apply tight stockings to his limbs and use calcium supplements such as tablet shelcal one tablet a day for few weeks to prevent future complications.

Dietary recommendation is best appropriate after the initial evaluation from a doctor and as we know his risk factors.

I hope you agree with me. You are free to discuss further if needed.