Have excessive fear of facing people or social situations. What treatment should be done?

my lips shake when i feel consious that people are watching me
even my hands shake and my body posture change when iam even little bit tenssed .i always think of my failures and my past sins which causes a hurdle and avoids me in doing simple things which i think i can do easily..

even my facial expressions gets changed ..please advice me how to be stable loose the public fear and be normal and confident
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are going through a difficult time due to your problem. Your symptoms seem to be indicative of a Phobia). This is a particular type of anxiety disorder where the person may have excessive fear of facing people or social situations. The typical symptoms are:
- fear of being scrutinized or judged negatively by other people
- fear of embarassment or humiliation in public
- hesitation for social interaction and avoidance of such social situations
- physical symptoms such as shaking of the hands, increased heart beat, increased sweating, nausea, etc.

In addition to the symptoms of social anxiety, you also seem to have many negative thoughts, low self-esteem and poor self-confidence.

Since you seem to be suffering significantly from these symptoms and since they seem to be causing you day-to-day dysfunction, you definitely need professional help. Now, there are effective treatment methods available, in the form of medication as well as psychotherapy (counselling). There are safe medication which can decrease your physical and psychological symptoms of anxiety. There are several effective psychotherapeutic methods like relaxation therapies, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), etc. which can not only help you deal with your anxiety, but also help you change your negative attitude and improve your self-confidence.

I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment and further treatment. With appropriate therapy and good motivation from your side, I'm sure that you will be able to overcome your problems soon.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist