Have environmental allergies, eczema and gray hair on head. Looking for cure

ENT Specialist
Hello, my 15 year old son has a single gray hair on top of his head, has some eviromental allergies and eczema, otherwise healthy. What is the gray hair about, on my side of the family my cousins and I as well as my sister were in late teens when we got gray hairs, on his fathers side there was hair loss in their late twenties. thank you for your help.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A single grey hair has no clinical significance.

2. The average number of hair on the human scalp varies from 1,00,000 to 1,50,000. An average hair loss of 100 to 150 per day is considered normal.

3. Hence it is possible that there may exist other grey hair at this point of time. The shutdown of hair pigment is genetically determined for each individual. It may be possible that you have seen a prominent first grey hair.

4. The syndromes associated with very early grey hair have other symptoms in addition. Therefore, a single grey hair is not a cause for worry.

5. Some of the possible causes are a random mutation of a hair follicle, anemia, vitamin deficiencies, environmental exposure to pollution or hard water, thyroid problems, an episode of severe illness, drug interactions (such as those for allergy, eczema), exposure to tobacco smoke and so on.

6. There is no active management required. You may keep the hair under observation for graying or early hair loss. You may also seek an opinion from a skin specialist or a trichologist who can examine the hair and the scalp surrounding the grey hair under magnification.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to assist you further.