Have elevated lipase and amylase level. Does this indicate any abnormality?

my amylase has been over 300 for over a year now and it has been checked six or seven times and I don't drink. my lipase has wnt from 60 to 180 the last time.I go to the VA and the don't seem too concerned. I need advice on what to say to get these people in gear before I end up six feet under. Thanks XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I understand your concern. Lipase and amylase usually rise in the setting of acute pancreatitis which is associated with severe upper abdominal pain usually requiring admission. But prolonged raised amylase/lipase is very unusual.

First we need to confirm what is the upper normal limit of the value you are quoting - if it is more than 3 times the upper normal limit then yes it is definitely raised.

Prolonged raised are usually known to occur in setting of a pseudocyst formation which is a collection of fluid in pancreas. Pseudocyst usually occurs after an acute attack which is confirmed by an ultrasound or CT scan of abdomen.

Therefore if your values are 3 times above the normal reference, it is worthwhile seeing a gastroenterologist to see what exactly is happening. However if these values are just above normal range and you have no symptoms pertaining it then I guess you should not worry.

Either ways avoid alcohol and continue to be a teetotaller.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.