Have diabetes, taken fasting blood sugar level. Should I start any medicine or can it be controlled by exercise?

I just diagnosed with diabetes. When it diagnosed 20 days back, it was 233 with 12 hours fasting. I started 30 minutes walk both in morning & night and also started 30 minutes stretches and 30 minutes pranayam. Yesterday after checked again, it was 142 with 12 hours fasting and 260 after two hours breakfast. Should I start any medicine or through exercises it can control
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 9 hours later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

You clearly have diabetes and you need to undergo treatment for the same. Exercise and diet (lifestyle modification) alone would not work in your case. I advise you to XXXXXXX your physician /diabetologist /endocrinologist for further line of treatment.

You must undergo treatment with medicines even though you don't feel any symptoms. This is to avoid damage caused inside the body in various organs due to high sugars and prevent any complications due to it in the future.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Have diabetes, taken fasting blood sugar level. Should I start any medicine or can it be controlled by exercise? 54 minutes later
Just one question, what is the role of tablet. It contain insulin or it attack pancreas to generate insulin.
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 11 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

No tablet contains Insulin as insulin is a protein and is destroyed by acid in stomach. There are several groups of tablets which acts in a different way in diabetes. One group acts on pancreas and corrects the defective release of insulin, while the other group improves the action of already released insulin in the body. You physician will examine you and would decide upon which group or combination to prescribe.

Hope my answer is adequate and helpful to you. Hope this clarifies your doubts. Let me know if I have missed out on any concerns.

Please close this discussion if you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.