Have diabetes, pain in leg muscles joint, toes and arm. How to get relief?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have had leg muscle weakness and pain for some years in November/december it got worse now have diabetes but pain in leg muscles joint and toes and arms and shoulders have got worse sometimes like now I find it difficult to walk and get worried. I continue to work to pay bills but am struggleingto get there. I have had some terrible falls.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
There are many possible causes of your symptoms. Polymyalgia and fibromyalgia are nonspecific diseases and these phrases are used when nothing is found. And I think that there must be a cause of your pain.
First,it can be effect of diabtese called diabetic neuropathy. It would cause pain in legs and toes and you should keep your sugar level below 7. Also osme other neuropathies such as alcoholic,toxic or metabolic can casue it as well. To evaluate this you should do EMG of legs and arms or nerve biopsy in some cases.
Second, it can be resulting from vascular supply insufficiency.Arterial or venous. To evaluate this you should do doppler ultrasound.
The third cause is less specific and it is degenerative joint and muscles changes which are commonly found as a part of ageing. For this, you should do calcium and vitamin d blood levels and densitometry to check is there sign of osteoporosis.Also autoimmune arthritis and rheuamtoid disorders can cause it as well. YOur therapy should depend on these findings, but you can start with antiinflammatory painkillers. If not helpful you should then take steroids, metotrexate or some more serious medicines.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.