Have dark spots inside vagina. Should I be worried?

May 2013
i have dark spots inside my vagina, not painful or hurt, think they have been there for a month or so.

Should i stop having sexual intercourse, is this something i should be worried about?

Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

There is possibility of moles inside the vagina.
This is a rarer condition than vulvar moles.
Usually these moles are benign in nature.
But better to get examined to rule out the conditions like vaginal melanoma, as in early stages vaginal melanoma can also present without symptoms.
Your doctor can examine the characteristics of the lesion and if she thinks it is benign lesion followup is enough. In case of any abnormality she may advice biopsy to rule out the possibility of melanoma.
Usually intercourse will not affect the moles. But in case of melanoma there is possibility of bleeding.
So better to avoid intercourse till getting examined.
I told melanoma just as a possibility, as it is rare you don't worry about it.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Have dark spots inside vagina. Should I be worried? 44 minutes later
Thanks for your response. I have a doctors appointment next Thursday, should I get this seen to earlier, this was the earliest I could get.

Also what I have if it is the vulavur is that signs of body changes, getting old?

What are my chances of this been the second point you mentioned if it's cancerian?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later

As at present you are asymptomatic you can consult doctor on Thursday.
Vulvar moles are comparatively common than vaginal moles.
They can be seen in 10 to 12% of women.
Sometimes moles can appear with increasing age, but other factors like race, genetics, infections etc can also predispose to the development of moles.
If the mole undergoes following changes then there is a possibility to turn into malignant one:
-Increase in the size.
-Becoming asymmetrical.
-Change in color at some spots of the mole.
-Surface and border can become irregular.
-Itching, bleeding etc symptoms will appear.
-A cancerous mole may have diameter wider than 6 mm.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.