Have cough and severe headache. Could it be a sign of asthma?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My four yr old daughter for the last month has been complaining about a headache sometimes it even brings her to tears. On top of the headache she has had this persistant cough for about 2 months. We have been to a redi med they said she had bronchitis gave us amoxicilin and after taking the 10 day course the cough was gone. About a week later the cough was back. Took her to the peditrican and they are thinking asthma
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Normally if the cough is persistent for 2 months in a child we have to think of other causes like wheezing,sinusitis, etc.

But I am concerned about the headache which even makes her cry!

This head ache can be from sinusitis or other causes.
Next time you visit your doctor insist on the evaluation for head ache.

Regarding the diagnosis of asthma,nowadays it has become a common diagnosis all over the world.
Do not worry.
If you do not have family history of asthma or allergies she may get over it when she grows.
Actually bronchitis is the them used for the first episode and later once it recurs they call it asthma!

Just keep her room clean from fine dust moulds etc to prevent some of the allergens for her asthma.
Watch for any particular triggering factor in food,chemicals like sprays etc.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Have cough and severe headache. Could it be a sign of asthma? 39 minutes later
Should i call her peditrican and get her an appointment for her headaches? She is not scheduled t ok go back and see her pediatrician.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 minutes later
Yes if her headache is persisting I would suggest you show her to the pediatrician .

Regards Dr Uma