Have cold, sharp pain in shoulders, clear phlegm, constant chest pain, pinching sensation in left lung. Abuterol inhalation okay?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Really bad cough for 5 weeks, no temp, clear phlegm, was on my way to getting over the cough with over counter meds(1200 mg guaifensin 12 hour)and abuterol inhalation.
Now after a few hours of light exertion in cold outside air, bad pain left lung area, started in left back under shoulder .blade, really bad when breathing in XXXXXXX or coughing, Have to take short breaths, tell it subsides a little, feels like pinching and then light burning knot in center of lung, mostly about three ribs up to center of rib area, but goes around back and higher in chest, after cough then a constant slight pain in left chest, left chest area feels heavy ,also slight pain when touching ribs and laying down, still coughing up clear phlegm but not much ,coughing not as much . temp normal , no sweating ,blood pressure OK, 54 ,non smoker , 6' 200 lb, drinking a gal water +a day.
Have a tendency to cough a lot when I try to talk even when I’m not sick.
And have had a few times the last two years with that bad pinching sensation in my left lung where I have to take short breaths as it goes away but no lasting pain.
Thank you ,looking forward to your thoughts before I make a nother visit to the clinic.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

The symptoms that you are currently experiencing could be due to bronchiolitis or any inflammation of the lung either allergic (asthma variant) or a systemic autoimmune illness or an acute bacterial or viral illness.

For confirming the diagnosis, you need to consult a chest physician who can examine you and order a few tests like Xray chest to confirm the diagnosis.

I would suggest that you do not delay the visit for more than a week or self medicate anymore.
As of now there is no emergency though definite diagnosis and treatment is mandatory.
Once the diagnosis is clear it can be treated with oral medications and inhalers. You can also try the following measures:
a.     Try steam inhalation atleast twice a day.
b.     Warm saline gargles twice a day
c.     Drink plenty of water.

I hope I have answered your query.