Have cold, noticed white crusty lumps at the center of tongue. Any ideas?

I have white crusty lumps at the center of my tongue? I have had a cold for 6-weeks. I have never had anything like this before. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

From the photograph it seems like fungal infection (oral candidiasis).

Oral antifungal mouth paint prescribed by your doctor will help in treatment of this condition.

Cold greater than 6 weeks can indicate sinus infection. It can also occur in nasal allergies.

If there are recurrent attacks of cold then we consider allergic rhinitis and start on antihistaminics. To prevent further attacks of cold your doctor may prescribe steroid nasal spray.

If the physical examination confirms acute sinusitis you doctor may prescribe antihistaminics, antibiotics etc. Normal saline nasal drops are useful in clearing the nasal stuffiness and blockage.

Hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask further queries.