Have chest congestion and cough. Have high ESR and monocyte level. Cause of concern?

my monocyte count is 21 and ESR is 50 , also last week has viral with chest congestion and cough, pls help
monocyte 21 which is high is cause of my concern and also high esr which is 50, really worried
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Monocytes turn into macrophages which play an important part in the immune system.They respond to infection by getting rid of the offending virus or bacteria, as a result the level would become elevated in an infection.
The ESR is a non specific indicator of inflammation or infection in the body. This would also go up in acute infection like the chest congestion and cough that you described.
Even though the levels are still elevated and the cold was last week, it is likely that they are on their way down meaning if they had been checked while you were at your worse with the cold, it is likely that they were higher.

Your doctor may suggest repeating them in another week or two, the levels should still be declining and may be normal at this point.
You do not need to worry at this point because it is just one set of values right after an acute infection, they will get lower unless you get a second infection and your immune system kicks in again.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have chest congestion and cough. Have high ESR and monocyte level. Cause of concern? 22 minutes later
my total cholestrol 274 in last week lipid blood test , is it high and do i need to leave fried food or what else i can do to reduce it , also my thyroid test my t3 and t4 is in normal but serum tsh is 18.55 and which is very high so do i need to take medication for it and it can cure or not ??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
The total cholesterol level is in the mildly high range. Initial treatment involves lifestyle measures such as increase physical activity, decreased fried or fatty foods (butter, high fat cheeses/milks/dressings), increased use of vegetables and fruits, using brown rice/pasta/flour/bread instead of white rice/pasta/flour/bread.

With regards to the thyroid tests, even though the t3 and t4 are normal , they can be in the low range of normal which may be low for you and result in a compensatory increase in TSH.
This would still need to be treated with replacement thyroxine.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have chest congestion and cough. Have high ESR and monocyte level. Cause of concern? 2 days later
In my latest blood test my urine creatinine is 1.4 which is higher than a maximum limit 1.3 , also in last blood test my albumin was 95 (high) so doctor ask me 24hr urine collection test and the test result of that was normal ... what is this happenning with my kidney ???
B,coz of urine creatinine is 1.4 which is high doctor has asked me have 1 tablet daily for nefrosafe which has a salt called taurine in it , what is taurine for ? , what reasons why kidney is getting infected ???
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later

The creatinine level is above the upper limit but only just so. With a normal urine analysis it is unlikely that there is any significant impairment of your kidney.
The above results do not indicate that you have any infection of your kidney, this would present with fever,abdominal pain, passing urine frequently, pain on urination, blood in the urine.The urine test would show white blood cells and pus.

Creatinine can rise slightly due to meat intake, it can also rise if the person is not taking enough fluids which may have occured when you were ill.
You can consider repeating in a few weeks to check the level.

Taurine is an amino acid which is a type of protein.It improve blood flow in the kidney, reduces blood pressure and acts as an anti oxidant to protect the kidney against damage.

Feel free to ask any other questions