Have cervical myelopathy, done spinal fusion. Shaking arms, weakness in legs. Not happy about arms

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have cervical myelopathy and had a spinal fusion 12 years ago. But the last 10 months my arms have started to jerk and shake making me feel quite weaker than usual, plus the back of my legs feel weak too, not very happy about the arms as not able to do my art anymore as my hands keep jerking.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The feeling of weakness and jerks in the arms and legs is likely to be due to nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine due to further degenerative changes in the spine.
You need to get an MRI scan of the cervical spine done for exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile you can start taking Methylcobalamin supplements for nerve compression symptoms.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
You can avoid using a pillow.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.