Have burning on the outside of vagina. No bumps, sores and redness except stretch marks. Herpes?

I have burning on the outside of my vagina on the top left side
I've looked and i found what seemed to be strecth marks, except they are giving me a burning sensation and just a little itchy. they are even with the skin so there are no bumps or sores and are not raised in any way and also no redness. The "stretch marks" have been there for some time and Im VERY worried that it is some form of weird herpes OR genital warts outbreak.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 17 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

In terms of your main fears (herpes and genital warts) this is NOT how they would present. Herpes starts as a painful blister that bursts, crusts over, and becomes a shallow ulcer with a surrounding red base. Genital warts in that location would be a raised, whitish irregular growth. Even considering unusual cases, based on what you are saying, I am not worried about either of these.

It is possible that this represents some other skin condition, such as lichen sclerosis. This would be easy to evaluate and diagnose with a visit to your OB/GYN. If there is any confusion, they should do a very small biopsy of the skin in that area.

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Have burning on the outside of vagina. No bumps, sores and redness except stretch marks. Herpes? 49 minutes later
thank you for diminishing my worry.
on the other hand, what other skin infections could be presenting itself this way??
could it also be it is just actual stretch marks being irritated by
My underwear???
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 hours later
Thank you for the followup - I am sorry about the delay in responding.

It could represent a yeast infection of the skin - this is extremely common. Treatment with oral diflucan would probably work best if this were the case. Also, yes, it could be stretch marks that are just temporarily inflamed. One idea is to buy some over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream and apply it a few times a day to see if this will help.

Good luck!