Have bumps on shine bone. No bruise or no pain. Any ideas?

Sep 2012

I have a goose egg size bump on the front of my XXXXXXX but there is no bruice or pain and I can function perfectly well with it. It has been there for about a month and I did not bump into something that would have caused it. Is this some form of XXXXXXX splint?
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, I have seen the pictures. But, for a swelling in that area, you need to be examined clinically, for its consistency ( most important), mobility that means whether it is fixed to the underlying structure or not, margins of the swelling whether they are regular or irregular, etc.

A clinical examination is important because, different types of lesion can occur here. It may be a soft tissue swelling or a bony swelling. If it is bony, then its relation with underlying bone should be noted.

From your history and picture, I think it is a bony lesion. But to be more specific, a x-ray of that area in AP AND LATERAL position should be in my hand.

So, you have to consult with a general practitioner first, for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering x-ray of that area and other investigation if required, and also for appropriate management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have bumps on shine bone. No bruise or no pain. Any ideas? 8 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Arindam,

It is a bony swelling for sure becuase the bump is as hard as my shine bone. This will not pass in time? I don't think ice would help?? How do you think it happened in the first place?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 22 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.
Look, as it is bony lesion, first we have to find out whether the bump is continuous with the underlying bone or it is a separate mass. In our clinical experience, sometimes some bone tumors can also be presented like this. So, you should undergo some investigations to stamp it as a harmless thing. For this minimum x-ray is must. It is impractical to say anything from just the external appearance or consistency.

If it is a bony lesion, it will not pass in time.

No, ice will not help in this conditions.

First, it is to be diagnosed definitely to say why it happened in first place.